ESA World Cover 2017 > Objectives
The main objectives of the conference are:
- Listen and capture multi-user requirements (climate modellers, geographers, scientists, environmentalists) for high and low resolution land cover mapping;
- Head towards the development of a Sustainable Operational System for Land Cover Classifications to meet the user’s needs;
- Follow on the previous successful experiences: IGBP-DISCover, GLC-2000, GlobCover 2005, GlobCover 2009, GlobeLand30, and CCI Land Cover;
- Produce a set of recommendations for the funding and implementation agencies;
- Establish a set of Research and Development activities to be carried out to meet the user requirements.